Chef Academy Recipe
- 6 lb (2.7 kg) Beef or Heirloom tomatoes
- 4 Star anise
- 1 Vanilla pod
- Sea salt & cracked black pepper to season
- White sugar
- 2 Sprig fresh thyme
- 1-2 Bay leaves
- Fresh garlic
- 28gm bunch fresh basil
- Extra virgin olive oil
1. Place a heavy cast pan to heat up.
2. Wash the tomatoes and halve roughly.
3. Place into the hot pan and season with salt, pepper and a touch of sugar.
4. Add the anise and vanilla.
5. Allow the tomatoes to start to cook then press them gently with a masher to help them to release their juice.
6. Reduce the heat down to just simmering and continue for about 1-2 hours until a thickened paste. This slow evaporation of the moisture from the tomatoes will produce a deep color concentrated flavor without any bitterness.
7. Crack the garlic and add along with the basil which is just halved and throw in.
8. Combine with the warm paste and finish with a good amount of olive oil to finish the infusion. Allow to cool before storing ready for use.
Right after I mashed down the tomatoes, begging of 2 hour simmer.
Almost done simmering, its already almost a thick paste consistency.